Saturday, September 6, 2008

Democrats post big gains in voter registration (AP)

Linda Graham , right, holds the clipboard as Florence Dziamniski, 82, fills out the voter registration form outside the senior citizen's home in Clairton, Pa. Thursday, Aug. 14, 2008. Five days a week, Graham trolls southwest Pennsylvania for unregistered voters, working to add to the big gains Democrats have posted this election cycle. Graham, 45, has taken three months unpaid leave from her job at Pittsburgh's Central Blood Bank to volunteer with Service Employees International Union. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)AP - Five days a week, Linda Graham trolls tattered neighborhoods of this once thriving steel city outside Pittsburgh for unregistered voters she can sign up as Democrats - one of thousands of unknown volunteers whose work outside the limelight has already altered the basic arithmetic of the November election.

As a career coach and parent, I have many times heard people say:

"I just don't know what I want to do with my life. I can't figure out what I want to be."

And, that comment didn't just come from younger people entering the work force, but many middle and senior managers who'd been considering making a career change. To be honest, that question used to puzzle me, because I didn't have a great answer for it. I'd ask myself "how do advise someone on what they should do for the rest of their lives?"

Well, I came to the conclusion that I can't really advise them on what they should do for the rest of their lives, but I could advise them on how to evaluate their options.

Whenever that question is posed to me, I answer it with a question. If asked "how do I figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life?" I ask in return:

"What two or three things do you love doing so much, that you would do it absolutely for free? What area of your life makes you so happy, that it isn't work?"

Most people can think of at least one thing right off the bat, which they immediately discard because they don't believe they can make money at it, or aren't good enough to do it professionally. Maybe that is true, but the second question I ask is:

"Ok, now that you know what those things are, what professions, or what industries exist in that field that you could make a living?" That then becomes the hook that gets them thinking about the job of their dreams.

For example, lets say you absolutely love music. You listen to it. You buy it. You read about and just know a great deal about it, but you are tone deaf. Can't sing a note. Well, what jobs are there in support of the music industry that would just make you happy to be around it? If are just starting out, maybe working in a music store is your start. You will meet musicians or like minded people and find yourself managing a band, or managing bookings for a club.

If you are an accountant working in a hospital and love music, you may look for work in the record industry, etc. You can still use your accounting skills, but in an industry you love.

Do you love clothes? Do you love to shop? Are the woman in the office from whom everyone fashion advice? Well then, what jobs exist (other than Vera Wang's job) can you do that is in the fashion industry? There are dozens!!!

The point is obvious. We have hobbies. We all have talents. We all have to eat!!! Wherever you are in your career, make a decision to find work in doing something you love and you will never work a day in your life.

And parents, do not push your kids into being doctors, accountants and engineers because you think it would be a great career for them. Encourage them to do something in a field that they love.

Hope this helps!!!

Help me build my readership, and share my articles with your friends!!

M.E. Edwards is a career coach, author, speaker entrepreneur and expert on career development at all levels. You can read his musings here, or take a more extensive look at his blog at http://www.directyourcareer.com/ Or you can email him at just_mike70@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home